To help slow the spread of coronavirus and to keep all Tasmanians safe, people should only be going to retail stores and shopping centres to purchase essential supplies.
While retailers will have practices in place to ensure adequate physical distancing in their stores, it is your responsibility to maintain a distance of at least 1.5 metres between yourself and any other person, where it is safe and possible to do so.
Tips before you go shopping
- Do not go to the shops if you are unwell.
- Shop by yourself where possible. Shopping is not a family outing.
- Limit your visits to the shops to as few times per week as possible, and make a shopping list to make sure your visit is a quick one.
- Consider an alternative, such as online shopping and delivery, where possible.
- Wash your hands before you go shopping.
- Be prepared: make a list before you go.
While at a retail store or shopping centre
- When queuing, keep at least 1.5 metres between yourself and others.
- Look out for markings on the ground and ensure that you follow them. Do not crowd others.
- Be patient and tolerant of other customers - shopping may take longer than usual.
- Be kind to shop staff and maintain your distance from them. Use a card to pay rather than cash if possible.
- Follow any hygiene directions posted at the entry to stores.
- Be mindful of frequently touched surfaces such as trolleys and shopping baskets.
- Use a tissue (or the inside of your elbow) to cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. Be sure to put the tissue in the rubbish bin straight after use.
- Wash and dry your hands before and after shopping.