Essential Travellers that meet strict criteria will be exempt from the 14 day quarantine requirement but must still comply with listed public health conditions, as directed by the Director of Public Health under Section 16 Public Health Act 1997.
The Essential Traveller status does not apply to a person who has been overseas within 14 days of travelling to Tasmania, or who has disembarked a from a cruise ship within 14 days of travelling to Tasmania. In these situations, the arrival will be required to complete a period of quarantine in a government managed facility in Tasmania.
If you are an Essential Traveller, you must complete a Tasmanian Arrivals Form on arrival in Tasmania.
For 14 days from arrival in Tasmania, you must:
- monitor yourself for symptoms of fever, coughing, sore throat, muscular pains, shortness of breath or unexpected tiredness, which may be evidence that you are infected by the disease;
- if you believe you are displaying a symptom of the disease, you must:
- contact the Public Health Hotline on 1800 671 738 or a medical practitioner to determine whether to be tested or assessed for the infection of the disease; and
- remain at your ordinary place of residence (or a suitable place of residence) except to attend medical care for the purposes of being tested;
- cover your mouth when coughing and sneezing;
- use disposable tissues and dispose of such tissue after use; and
- wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap or hand-sanitiser
If you are a Health Services worker, paramedic or ambulance officer (as per categories 2 and 5 of the Schedule) or are otherwise in close contact with a person who may be vulnerable to infection or illness due to COVID-19, you must also:
- ensure that you are, at all times when engaged in the provision of health services or care to a person, or in close proximity to a vulnerable person, wear a surgical mask or other personal protective equipment that is normally worn during such contact.
Not all Essential Travellers require a written exemption – check the Schedule of Specified Persons to be sure
If your status requires approval from the State Controller or the Department of Health, or if you are unsure if you are eligible, you may apply for an Essential Traveller status by completing an online form or emailing a completed form to email@example.com. Health care workers may apply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.